4.8.24

Handmade leather book-covers.

 

My spouse taught me how to make leather book covers since I adore using notebooks and sketchbooks.
Neatsfoot oil was used to treat, soften, and maintain the one my husband made.
Inside is a small composition notebook measuring 3 1/4" x 4 1/2" x 1/4" This one includes a pencil slot.

Saddle stitching was used to secure the leather. My spouse used metal stamps to add his initials.
He has a lot of leather, tools, and equipment, plus he has worked with leather before, which benefits me. 

My spouse's completed project.

These are some of the tools and equipment we used. A small hammer, stainless steel leather hole punches, pencil, eraser, 12" metal ruler, a cigarette lighter, awls (the sharp points are protected with corks), thread, craft pegs, a soft plank, scissors, a template, Saddler's needles, a big nail clipper (used to round the corners of the leather), metal letter stamps, artificial sinew, a leather thong, a leather hole punch, etc.

I gathered some of the supplies in a 12" pencil box that fits into an Iris® 13″x13″ Stackable Storage Box

Inside the Stretch Pencil Box by Storex.

He keeps his hardware in a divided craft container.

I had assistance with the hardware for my initial attempt.
I haven't put the notebook in as the Howard feed and wax I used was still oily. I used blue thread on mine, on the fastening as it is my favourite colour. We hung the covers outside to dry. To prevent it from getting greasy, I wrapped the notepad in cling wrap for the picture.
I have learnt a lot and appreciate the work that goes into leathercraft.

Here I am working on my second attempt.

I think my second attempt came out better.
The small  sketchbook inside measures 6" x 4" 

That's a wrap.

These are some of the leather journals I bought, maybe one day I can make my own.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Spoon ring

TOKELOSHE ©️

 

No comments: